Thursday, October 1, 2015

Sandy Toes and Salty Kisses North Carolina

Oh how I love the beach, Jonny likes it but he would rather be on a lake. I guess it just means that I have to work harder to make the beach a magical place :)!! This year we went to a place called Edisto Island off the coast of South Carolina. We try and make sure every year we go to the beach that we get a picture of us and the date. I just love sandy toes and salty kisses !!!!
The first day we got to the beach the waves were so big and were pounding hard... normally its a bit calmer. Jonny got in right away and I tried to follow, but the waves made Jonny a little nervous for me and baby girl. ( what a good husband watching out for me and baby already) So he got me all set up on the beach with a drink in my hand and under a umbrella. Yes, I wanted to jump into that water so bad but I just played in the shallows with the little kiddos and it was a great day! The next day my prayers were answered there were NO waves!!!!! I ran into that water so fast, and it felt sooooo good, warm but refreshing!!! Jonny and I grabbed some buggie boards and went relaxing in the water just floating along! It was a cloudy most of the trip, but good that the sun was not beating down on us and all the kids.
When it did rain a we would all head up to the pavilion for lunch and of course some beach volley ball! Everyone was playing except of course me ( the pregnant woman) Vanessa, Jessica, mom and Shannon, we were all busy watching all the kids. Jonny was doing awesome he was doing it all dip, dive, and spiking the whole game! Of course my brother Ethan had gotten 20 something stiches in his leg the day before and he was out there with everyone else ( I guess that's a Thomas for ya). I love watching Jonny enjoying himself and having fun with my family. They all love him so much and he fits in like a puzzle piece.
While everyone was playing Volley Ball I was enjoying my time with my beautiful sister Vanessa and Owen on the side lines. He usually is stand offish to most people but for some reason he really loves his Aunt Mariah. He would just walk over to be and sit there leaning against me and hug me while watching the game. All the while yelling BALL in my ear, I enjoyed every second of it and all his little squeezes when he got excited! I am totally fine not playing in the game, if I have a cutie to snuggle up with!
I just think we have the cutest Nephews and Niece EVER !!!! I just love holding them all and talking to the. Little Miss Ruby did awesome on the beach all day, she is so sweet! I get all kinds of questions and looks from those kid, it cracks me up. My favorite quote of the week was Mason. I had just woken up and didn't get much sleep that night, I came into the kitchen yawning.... Mason asked me," Aunt Mariah are you tired?" ....YES, Mason I am very tired. He then said, " WELL I should just toss you in the LAZZZZY RIVER then, wake up!!!"I laughed so hard, what a great thing to start my day off :)  





We also went to the tip of the Island and fed the turtles and seagulls some stale cereal. The turtles seemed to like it, but the seagulls didn't care much for it. We went on our little adventure in the morning so we were able to see the dolphins feeding right off the bay! They were really close and were jumping totally out of the water !! It was really interesting to watch them heard the fish and work together as a unit, there must have been 25 or them!

Another fun thing we always do on Edisto Island is crab hunting. Each season offers different kinds of crabs, this time we caught hermit crabs, fiddler crabs and ghost crabs. My family has caught Carolina Blue crabs here and have cooked them up before.( good eaten)  Its amazing to walk out, when the tide is low and you can see MILLIONS of fiddler crabs running to their holes. Between all the different kinds of crabs, gulls, dolphins, and washed up sea life its amazing how much wildlife you can come across just on a mornings walk on the bay.
I think Jonny leaves with a little more appreciation of the beach each time we go, I love walking on the beach and picking up the shells and seeing all the life around us. We are so blessed to have such a big, and fun family that enjoys getting together and makes the effort to make it happen. Plus NO Sharks were seen on this trip, thank goodness!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment