Saturday, October 5, 2013

Battleship Texas

While driving to all of our other adventures we always passed the huge battleship Texas, so this time we decided to make that our new adventure for the weekend. It was a Beautiful day but it was a very, very HOT one. Especially inside the ship It was like you were roasting alive in there. I don't know how they all did it, out in the middle of the ocean with sun just beating down and reflecting making it worse. There were Texas Flags flying everywhere and there was lots of things to see and do while on the ship.
 There was plenty of guns that you could climb up on and aim and pretend shoot... also missiles  and ammo laying in lots of different places, I never really realized how big the missiles that they shot were. ( above im sitting on some, below Jonny is standing by one ) In the ship there were all kinds of stations: sick bay, multiple kitchens, bunkers and beds everywhere you see, parlors, surgical rooms, barbers, general stores, and even dentists. I was shocked besides the horrible living space they tried to make it seems like a little town just inside a floating metal ship with no women... ( Now does that sound like a town you would still want to live in, I think not) 
Even though the ship was HUGE it was not big enough it was built for around 1,500 men to fit and live comfortable, but around 3,500 men were actually placed on the boat !!!  That is CRAZY no wonder why there were beds just every where and any where... We climbed to the top as far as they would let us go and we enjoyed the view, it was scary climbing up there though... I went down so slow. ( You would think with me climbing the Grant Teton I would not have been scared, But I was...)
The ship was a big one and while we were walking around I found this picture of a sailor... And with me seeing pictures of Jonny at all stages it looked JUST LIKE HIM... I think we found Jonnys Doppelganger...I mean they look just a like.. if nothing else they would look like brothers or something !!! I thought that was cool to find such an old pic. that looks like my husband now, who knows what happened to that man...

 Not only did we get to see the Battleship, but we also got to see a Huge Monument (where some battle with Mexico was fought) it looks almost like the Washington Monument. The monument was on one side and the Ship on the other we were happy to even have more to do then we thought there was.






 Just the base of the thing was huge with stories around on each side telling about the battle. The picture to the right is only the bottom of the base, it wouldn't fit in the pic. We went inside and looked around and saw some old artifacts and old war outfits. I think Jonny and I both agree that people back then where really small. I mean I guess Jonny and I are pretty tall people, but I don't think any of those coats or pants would fit around Jonny's arm or leg... We even looked it up later and I think the average height was around 5'6 for the man and 5'2 for the woman.
I had so much fun going out and getting to know the history of Texas a little more, its amazing to know that there were so many battles fought here just around the corner. Texas really does have its state pride, that's for sure..... I Love my husband so much for doing so many fun things together and I am just so thankful that we can spend time together and enjoy that time to its fullest.

No comments:

Post a Comment